September 2010

When we moved too our current house, one of the first plants we put was a white flowering climbing rose. Back then the rose was not even 1 meter tall. Within 6 years the rose grew 5 meters high and covering  a whole corner of our house. At least twice a year I have to prune it back, not only to keep it in some sort of shape but also to make sure we can reach our front door. I usually use a long ladder put against the house and cut the branches from there. This is done paying a price in blood, I look like I fought of a horde of jaguars.

I already looked at the huge plastic telescopic pruning shears they sell at gardening groceries, but they all came close to €100, and I thought it was a bit steep. But 2 weeks ago there was a garage sale in a neighbourhood near our house and I found this, for €3.

Beautiful simple construction, you lock the hook thingy around the branch and pull the cord. I really like the curled up spring, that moves the blade back, when you release the cord. 

Now that the blade is sharpened it works very well especially on rose shoots which are not woody. But I’ve cut a 1 cm think wooden branch without problem.  You can take the blade apart from the hook by unscrewing the nut, making it easy too sharpen. I think that is key with this type of shears, since seems to be much lighter in construction then the modern ones. The modern ones seem to rely more on blunt force then a sharp blade.

Now I have to find a pole long and strong enough to reach up to the roof, I’ve put the shears on a 1.8m broomstick now, but I need at least 4 meters. I have to make something that I can take apart for storage or when I don’t need to cut so high.

I don’t know exactly how old this would be, I would guess somewhere round the fifties. But that is an uneducated guess, I could as well say forties. It does not have any brand name or makers stamp and it looks kind of industrial. I like the way it looks, it works very well for me (always better than bloodied on the ladder), so all in all €3 well spent. I rarely feel that way after spending money. 

Here I’m using it for the pruning the grapes, wich we are not going to eat (again). The cold weather is causing them not to ripen and they are super acid, but the chickens seem to like em.


If you consider that I don’t really like painting too much, one might wonder how the decision to make a wooden house came to be. On the other hand it really starts coming together now. The window frames are in, and painted at least one hand, they’ll need a third one but that is more cosmetic then necessary. We painted  the wall in the back rodfarg red and the other walls still need to be painted. Plumbing and electrics are done except for the wall sockets. Also I’ve insulated the floor and put planks on top.

Remaining work is; insulating and plasterboard putting, plastering (not looking forward), wall sockets, floor painting, painting the outside. Ooooh very important, I still need to put the glass in the windows, very nice in winter. And then last, install the heating, a small swedish woodburning stove, which will also heat up our tent when we go winter camping.

Pffff, better get back too work….